Call now for a free consultation. 203-444-3551

Vacating a Default Judgment

Defending and vacating default judgment or money judgment.

Wage Garnishment

Vacating a Judgment – Can I Remove my Judgment?

Default Judgment/Money Judgment

Default judgments a/k/a money judgments mean that the person who was sued failed to respond or appear in court and the Court automatically entered the judgment against you due to your failure to defend the case. A judgment is essentially a legal “IOU” (I owe you), where the court finds you owe the company that sued you the money and it allows them to try to collect the amount stated in the judgment in a legal manor. This usually means they will be looking for your assets, so that they can garnish your wages, levy your bank account, place a lien on your home, etc. In addition, judgments kill your credit score and will be collectible for many years (the length of your judgment depends on which state you live in).


Get help with vacating a default judgment.

Judgment Defense Options

In order to obtain a judgment, there are certain legal requirements that must be done, often involving pre-lawsuit notice and being served with the lawsuit. The courts also require the correct supporting documentation, showing that you in fact owed the subject debt. However, as collection law firms file thousands of lawsuits monthly, there are often mistakes and errors in their paperwork and documentation. There may also be problems with how you were served with the lawsuit and that you simply never received notice of the lawsuit.

If you had a default judgment entered against you, we may be able to help you get it vacated, or set aside. In addition, if you have been sued, it is important to make sure that a judgment is not entered against you and you must not ignore the court summons. Time is of the essence and you must address the lawsuit or judgment immediately.